When you think coffee grounds you think a quick pick me up. That morning drink, before you get your day started. Well you can use old coffee grounds for many things. I have compiled a list of the 12 most unorthodox ways to use coffee grounds.
1. To get rid of cellulite
This is one of my favorite ways to use coffee grounds. I like to use them as a base for DIY body wraps. Its really easy to do. Take your grounds and just enough olive oil to create a paste. Take the paste and rub it on the areas that you will be wrapping. (Do this in the tub, or lay down news paper, because this will get messy) Do 1 area at a time starting with the lower areas and moving up. After applying, wrap the area with saran. I usually sit at the leas 3 hours wrapped.
The caffeine increases the speed and amount of blood flowing. When you don’t have good circulation the body has a hard time ridding itself of extra water and toxins. When used frequently the caffeine in coffee grounds will give the body a more toned, firmer appearance. Now, because you are ridding your self of toxins, you will be super thirsty, so make sure to drink lots and lots of water.
2. As a bug spray or to make bug traps
You can make a spray using dish soap and old coffee grounds to rid your self of bugs in your garden. The great thing about this is there are no harsh chemicals, like the ones you would normally find in insecticides.
You can also use some double sided tape, a jar, and coffee grounds as roach bate, find out more here.
3. Did you know coffee is a natural anti-oxidant and astringent which makes it awesome to use on acne and other skin problems. When I get an acne flair up, I take some coffee grounds and mix them with some honey, just enough to make it stick to the affected area. Honey is also an anti-oxidant, it helps to unclog pores, it is also a great moisturizer. So I’m sure you can see how this will benefit your acne prone skin.
4. Going shopping for new perfume? Pack some coffee grounds in a little sandwich bag, and take a sniff between smelling fragrances. The grounds will clear the nostrils of the previous scent.
5. Use it as a clarifying mask on your hair to remove buildup. Mix just like you did for #3 but only apply to your hair and work it in. Your hair will be cleaner, shinier and more moisturized than ever.
6. Coffee grounds deodorize and neutralize most odors. So use them in the fridge, or the most disgusting place on earth, a teenage boys bed room…
7. Tired of your brown hair color going dull? Steep some coffee grounds into a couple of cups of hot water, let cool and pour on your hair, put a bag on your hair and let sit for 45 minuets to an hour and rinse with lukewarm water, to make your dull color more vibrant.
8. Coffee grounds kill fleas. Wash your fur babies as usual then rub some coffee grounds into their fur, and rinse well… Their coats will be shinier after too.
9. Have a school project or even a home decor project that requires some antiquing? Soak some grounds in warm water, put in a piece of paper in the water, let the paper get saturated and take it out and let it dry. Now you have paper with a cool antique look.
10. At this point you have realized the coffee honey mixture can be used for several things. Mix the same as #3 and #5 and use it as a dry skin exfoliant, during your shower.
11. Use coffee grounds as fertilizer. Mix coffee grounds with your soil and commence to planting as usual. Coffee grounds are organic and adding them to your soil helps with drainage.
12. Want to try something different with your dinner, use coffee grounds to cook with. Make these Coffee Bacon Sandwiches.
I bet you want to try all these things. If you don’t drink enough coffee to try them, that’s ok, lots of coffee shops will give you some old grounds if you ask.