Hot Dog Sea Monsters Recipe
- 8 leaves kale or chard (about 1 bunch) , stems and ribs removed
- 8 beef, turkey or chicken hot dogs (preferably a longer variety)
- 1 package crescent roll dough
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Sweet or dill pickle relish , for serving
- Ketchup , for serving
Before you head out for trick-or-treating, gobble up this quick hot dog and veggie supper, all wrapped up in a buttery crescent roll. Here’s how:
Cut lengthwise through 1 end of each hot dog, about one-third of the way.
Rotate and cut perpendicularly to the first cut, to create four “tentacles.”
Simmer in boiling water until tentacles curl and separate, 2 to 3 minutes.
Cut a blanched kale leaf into two or three long pieces and wrap around each hot dog, weaving through the tentacles.
Spread crescent roll dough with mustard, top with a hot dog, and roll up snugly. Bake at 350°F for 16 to 18 minutes on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet.
Cut our slits for mouth and eyes. Insert small pieces of kale stems for eyes. Dot tentacles with relish “sea slime.”